Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ohhhh


Sleeping and TurbinatesThe turbinates are important for the sleep mechanism. When you sleep, you are supposed to turn some 50 times a night. This prevents you from getting pressure sores. What happens is that you sleep on the right side, with the right turbinate down. After a time, this right turbinate fills up with fluid, and expands so that it pushes against the septum in the mid line and this makes you turn on the left side until that side fills up and turns you again. This is why when you sleep cramped, where you can't turn, you get achey muscles and bed sores.

Was reading up for tomorrow's session with my ENT surgeon, Dr. Khoo when I came across this. 
This is one of those things that makes you go "Ohhhhhhh." 
haha well, for me anyway.

Anyway, totally embarrassed myself today sigh. 
But I'm definitely learning something from him so that's good. 
Saw him draining an abscess from a TB gland = GROSS.
He just sliced a small incision and basically, started 'gorek-ing' the crap out of that lump.

Arghh.. 
we were talking earlier and he said that medical students have to choose between two categories when they want to pick a speciality, 
namely to choose the medical aspect of medicine or the surgical aspect of it. 
I think I'm definitely more of a medical person, like a GP or physician. 

Argh then he sutured up the incision. 
I don't know what's with me but, 
I never liked the idea of stitching skin up together. 
Argh.
 What kinda pathetic medical student I am uh? 
Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment